Falling for Flora Springs
As a wine writer, I am sometimes blessed with the opportunity to write about amazing, unforgettable places and Flora Springs is definitely one of them.
I completely fell for Flora Springs and you will too. Here’s why:
The wines are wonderful, the Komes family and their team is gracious and knowledgeable and the tasting room, winery and surrounding grounds are breathtakingly beautiful.
FAMILY OWNED, ESTATE GROWN DELICIOUSNESS
This family-owned estate winery produces world-class Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (I can still taste it – it was that good!), Chardonnay, a stunning white wine called “Soliloquy,” a drop-dead-gorgeous Cabernet Sauvignon-based Bordeaux blend called “Trilogy,” Merlot, Sangiovese and fantastic Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from Carneros. Prices range from $35 – $150 (Hint – for every day enjoyment, try the Estate Merlot – OMG!) and in my humble opinion these wines are worth every penny.
“Our family’s goal is to over-deliver on every aspect of business, particularly when it comes to the quality and consistency of the wines we produce. As farmers and winemakers, our dedication to quality begins in the vineyards and continues through every aspect of winemaking.”
– Nat Komes, General Manager
Over-deliver, they do. I’m still glowing from my visit there a few days ago.
I was among a small group of lucky local wine writers who were invited to join the Komes family for a winery tour, tasting and lunch. I’m sure my colleagues would agree that it was an unforgettable day.
We showed up at 10AM for a winery tour with General Manager, Nat Komes (Third generation involved with the winery) and got to meet and taste with Winemaker, Enrico Bertoz. Both men absolutely radiate happy passion about the vineyards, wines and winemaking at Flora Springs. We toured the caves and area surrounding the winery, sat down to a formal tasting of their phenomenal wines, and then enjoyed a delicious lunch on the patio. I had the pleasure of sitting next to Founder, John Komes at lunch and he was an absolute hoot!
DON’T MISS THE JON NATHANIEL WINES!
The Komes family has recently released a fabulous new series of wines the under Jon Nathaniel label . It’s a sweet father (John)-son (Nathaniel) collaboration, paying tribute to family, friends and fantastic wines. These wines are hand-crafted in small lots and are only available direct from the winery. I had the pleasure of enjoying the 2018 Lavender Hill Chardonnay and the 2017 Fabulist with lunch and I loved them both.
Click here for more information about the Jon Nathaniel wines.
- They have a gorgeous tasting room conveniently located on Highway 29 and it’s fantastic, but for the full Flora Spring experience book an appointment at their estate.
- The winery is named after Flora Komes, Nat’s grandmother. The “Springs” part comes from the natural springs on the 304 acre property.
- Flora Springs was the 64th winery in the Napa Valley. Now there are over 17,000 registered wineries and over 500 with tasting rooms in Napa County.
- The winery was built in 1885 and is reportedly haunted – check out the “Ghost Winery Tours!”
- Join the Flora fun on Social Media – they are way ahead of the curve on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. In fact, Flora Springs was the first champion of the white wine emoji (then KJ and a couple other wineries jumped on board). Unfortunately, registering the white wine emoji is still caught up in red tape, but hopefully someday we will all be able to use it!
- Flora Springs has an innovative and delicious wine and beef pairing program called, “Five Cabs and Five Cuts,” which pairs five of their different Cabernet Sauvignons with five different cuts of beef. Drool.
- Take the tour and enjoy a comparative barrel tasting, featuring French oak vs. American Oak.
- Check out their super creative custom labels! The Halloween labels were my favorites.
I Wish You Could Taste This Right Now!
For more information, visit the website at www.florasprings.com.
Don’t miss visiting this amazing, magical winery! Tell them, “The Wine Wench® sent me!